Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I have one 804-A and one 802-D...What to do

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want to have two speakers with the same high freq. driver. Do I find a 804-A or a 802-D so I have a pair or do I buy two different drivers. Each one is on top of it's 612 cabinet. Each cabinet has an Altec 803-B woofer.
    What would you recommend?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would say get whichever one you can get a better deal on. My preference would be to get an 802D but either set should work well in a home setup IMO.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I too would prefer the 802 for it's additional sensitivity and resale value.

    The added sensitivity can be of benefit when using/building passive networks with compensation/EQ circuits.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I have one 804-A and one 802-D...What to do


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    YMMV.

    My opinion is most 802's sound about the same, the "G" may be a little brighter.

    The 808 BTW is the same magnet assembly, different fram. The 804, 806, and 807 are smaller.

    So if a single 808 becomes available on Fleabay you can convert it. Do a search of the forum for detail, it's been discussed at length. Hint- 808's are often available blown- the conversion you change the fram anyway.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks,
    I have an 802-D. Does it have to be the "D" version or do all the 802s sound about the same?
    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.